Wednesday 23 July 2014

Blacksmithing a Hammer

Its a couple of weeks ago I did blacksmithing for the first time and it was an awesome experience's so I thought I would chare it with you guys!

Since I was a kid I always wanted to try blacksmithing. My current boss is an veteran blacksmith with over 30 years of experience, and during one of the Western development museum event days he asked me if I was interested in helping him out in the blacksmith and learn some stuff. Of course I said yes!

2 days we ran the blacksmith it was super fun but much harder than I expected. People think that you simply put steel in a flame take it out and hammer on it for a while till a sword is created. Well my reality was that I was struggling more with how to grab the steel and hold it so I can hammer it.
It does sound easy but concentrating on how to hold it and hammering it right and all that really quick (you have roughly 30s before you have to put it back in the flame) is a lot of things you have to multi task at the same time.

Well I ended up making my self a little hammer. Not beautiful but with a bit of grinding it turned out nice :)
Blacksmithing is one of the things I will continue learning in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment